Practice Areas | Litigation
With national reach, seasoned trial attorneys and a sophisticated understanding of technology, we handle complex disputes expediently and cost-effectively.
Young Basile handles contested matters throughout the country, including complex trials and appeals in federal and state courts, the International Trade Commission and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
We concentrate our litigation practice in the areas of intellectual property, employment, and commercial transactions. Collectively, we have handled over 500 contested matters, including 100 trials, spanning over 20 states and administrative tribunals We meld that experience with our firm’s deep technical expertise in software, electronics, pharmaceuticals and materials, a combination that makes us ideally suited for handling cases that involve complex technologies.
We also have robust trademark and employment litigation practices. We recently received a favorable defense verdict from a San Francisco jury in a retaliation claim brought by the EEOC and a transgender employee against our client, and we obtained an $8 million judgment for trademark infringement in Chicago.
Our patent litigators are frequently sought out to co-counsel complex intellectual property litigation matters in the United States and abroad. Leading global law firms have relied on the breadth and depth of our knowledge to develop key aspects of challenging cases in significant patent litigation.
Track Record of Results
While no law firm can deliver a victory in every case, we have achieved favorable results in the substantial majority of matters, frequently prevailing when opposing parties are represented by national firms. We win because we partner with our clients to understand their products, their industries and their goals. With that knowledge, we provide the best strategic advice to achieve our client’s legal and business objectives.
Examples of Our Work
- Representing plaintiff in Plexxikon v. Norvartis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Case No. 4:17-cv-04405-HSG (N.D. Cal. 2017), a patent infringement suit involving our client’s breakthrough melanoma drug, vemurafenib, and the accused product, dabrafenib.
- Successfully defended IXL Learning, Inc. in a retaliation lawsuit filed by the EEOC and a former transgender IXL employee. The client prevailed after a six-day jury trial in San Francisco. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission v. IXL Learning, Inc., Case No. 3:17-cv-02979-VC (N.D. Cal. 2017).
- Represented Google as co-counsel in multiple patent infringement suits involving video coding technology, including Nokia Corporation v. HTC Corporation et al., District Court [Landgericht] of Mannheim, Case No. 7 O 201/12.
- Secured summary judgment and won appeal in patent case, making new law on claim construction. Honeywell Inc. v. ITT Industries, Inc., 452 F.3d 1312 (Fed. Cir. 2006) (summary judgment affirmed).
- Obtained preliminary injunctive relief, an $8.6 million judgment, and attorney’s fees in Mon Ros International for General Trading and Contracting, W.L.L. v. Anesthesia USA, Inc. et al., Case No. 1:17-cv-07365 (N.D. Ill. 2017).
- Represented plaintiff in commercial claim against television personality Marcus Lemonis. Sales Pad, LLC v. Marcus Lemonis LLC et al., Case No. 1:16-cv-01444 (W.D. Mich. 2016).
- Defended a Fortune 500 paint manufacturer from a claim for $7.5 million plus punitive damages. Defendant secured a nuisance-value settlement of $25,000 on the eve of trial.
- Represented plaintiff in Sauder Manufacturing Company v. J Squared, Inc. in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio in patent infringement claim and in three inter partes review proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Sauder Manufacturing Company v. J Squared, Inc., Case No. 3:14-cv-00962-JZ (N.D. Ohio 2014); IPR2015-00958; IPR2015-00774; and IPR2016-00413.
- Succeeded in excluding plaintiff’s damages expert in $100 million trade secret misappropriation case. MSC Software Corporation v. Altair Engineering, Incorporated et al., Case No. 2:07-cv-12807-AC (E.D. Mich. 2017).
- Obtained dismissal of declaratory judgment action in the Northern District of California brought by a software manufacturer against the patent owner based on lack of personal jurisdiction. Ondot Systems, Inc. v. Mantissa Corporation, Case No. 3:18-cv-00207-RS (N.D. Cal. 2018).
- Thwarted a nationwide class action lawsuit on behalf of defendant in The Sherwin-Williams Company v. Auto Body Tech, Inc. et al., Case No. 1:12-cv-23362-JJO (S.D. Fla. 2012).
A Fresh Approach
Our success stems from tightly aligning our work to our client’s interest of expediting resolution and achieving a favorable but practical solution. We target the core elements of the case that will lead to victory and strive to keep clients continuously informed as to costs, strategies and risks.
Use of Technology
Our litigators effectively use secure, cloud-based document management and paperless deposition software to manage cases in courts throughout the country and the world. We use innovative, yet affordable, e-discovery solutions and comprehensive case management software including CaseMap and TextMap to reduce costs and improve results. Young Basile is committed to continuous improvement of our technology best practices that ensure our litigators deliver results in large or small cases, either locally, nationally or internationally.
Our litigation team focuses on providing exceptional strategic advice in complex litigation throughout the United States and abroad.
Patent Litigation Support
We help first-chair law firms deliver better results with less effort while saving clients money.
/ learn more /