Practice Areas | Data Privacy & Cybersecurity
Our tech-savvy attorneys—with backgrounds in computer science and industry experience—understand their client’s data. This enables Young Basile to efficiently and effectively advise clients on all aspects of the legal, regulatory, and technical issues that relate to protecting consumer and employee data, including the capability to advise clients regarding security breaches, threats, incidents, and other privacy concerns.
Data Privacy & Cybersecurity
Attorneys at Young Basile have technical backgrounds in specific industries, including software, hardware, robotics, semiconductors, electronics, automotive, material science and medical devices, and experience with the latest technologies, such as IoT, AI, Big Data, and autonomous vehicles. This technical background and industry focus, coupled with experience in privacy law and other legal disciplines, gives us the capability to provide strategic advice to clients on a wide range of privacy and security issues, including:
- The protection and use of employee and consumer data—including the collection, storage, sharing, retention, and destruction of data.
- Develop or review public privacy policies and terms of service.
- Develop or review internal data privacy policies, employee policies, security programs, and data breach protocols.
- Conduct audits on, and monitor compliance with, existing policies / programs in view of the current quickly changing privacy statutes and regulations.
- Perform internal investigations related to data breaches or otherwise assist in responding to incidents.
- Advise and represent clients in privacy-related investigations and litigation.
- Data privacy and security in the education sector, including navigating the interplay between state and federal laws and regulations on student data privacy.
Strategic Counselors and Zealous Advocates
Whether developing privacy and security programs from scratch or conducting audits and making recommendations on existing practices, the attorneys at Young Basile have the capability to quickly understand our clients’ data, business models, and objectives to effectively provide practical and legally compliant solutions regarding the protection and use of employee and consumer data. This includes advising on (1) compliance with laws and regulations, such as the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), Stored Communications Act (SCA), and related state laws; (2) employment policies related to issues with employee data and employee access to data, for example, bring-your-own-device (BYOD) policies; and (3) compliance with statutory and regulatory data security and data breach requirements.
When it comes to data breaches, time is money, and the reputational harm, potential liability, and other costs to an organization exponentially increase the longer it takes to evaluate, contain, and remediate an incident. Having a strong incident response plan before an incident occurs can streamline the response to an incident and is increasingly expected of companies in many industries. And if there is a potential breach, we share your sense of urgency during these crucial times, and we are available to you 24-7 to help you respond to, and minimize the impact of, an incident.
Having handled complex contested matters in venues throughout the country, the attorneys at Young Basile have the experience and capability to handle privacy-related litigation, including lawsuits and class-actions brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA), and similar laws.