Mr. Sims has over thirty-five years’ experience as a patent attorney. He advises clients on how to utilize intellectual property to improve profits. His work includes preparing and prosecuting chemical patent applications, preparing opinions on patent validity and freedom to practice, preparing and interpreting intellectual property agreements, developing and implementing business based intellectual property strategies, handling the intellectual property aspects of forming and taking apart business ventures, training business and technical clients and patent attorneys on intellectual property matters and handling the intellectual property aspects of the sale and acquisition of businesses.
From 1981 to February 2009, Mr. Sims was a member of the intellectual Property Group of The Dow Chemical Company where he provided counseling on intellectual property to a variety of Dow businesses, concentrating on business use of intellectual property to enhance the profits of the businesses. During his venture at Dow, he served as the patent counsel for business units and joint ventures of Dow and served as an intellectual capital manager for Dow businesses.
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Competent Toastmaster’s Award, Toastmasters International
- DBusiness Top Lawyers, 2013
- Leading Lawyer 100, Lawyer Monthly Magazine
- Professional of the year 2012 in Patent Law, Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- State Bar of Michigan Intellectual Property Section, Council Member
- State Bar of Michigan Intellectual Property Section, Council Chairperson, 2000-2001
- Original Equipment Supplier Association Intellectual Property Committee
- State Bar of Michigan, Fellow
- State Bar of Michigan Patent Pro-Bono Program, Steering Committee
- Provided Services under the State Bar of Michigan Patent Pro-Bono Program