Dr. Chmelar is a subject-matter expert in digital semiconductors and hardware/software systems. He captures and monetizes innovation through invention harvesting, patent drafting, opinion drafting (infringement, validity), assertions (claim charting), portfolio strategy, and licensing. Dr. Chmelar’s creative thinking and sound judgment gets results. For example, he authored an opinion that defined a key technical term of U.S. export law, resulting in a billion-dollar increase in quarterly revenues for the semiconductor equipment industry.
Prior to law, Dr. Chmelar worked nearly two decades in R&D. He holds over 30 patents in technologies that include high-speed communications, mixed-signal circuits, circuit synthesis, reconfigurable computing, semiconductor testing, and smart medical devices. He held principal positions at leading technology companies and founded start-ups.
- Consulting Professor, Stanford University
- Adjunct Professor, Saginaw Valley State University
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Innovation-Corps, Industry Mentor and Instructor
- Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET), Program Evaluator
- Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE), Senior Member
- Certified Agile Practitioner (PMI ACP)
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMI PMP)
- International Society of Optics & Photonics (SPIE)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)