Experience | Medical Devices
Young Basile lawyers have extensive experience working in and for the medical device industry. Our depth of industry knowledge coupled with our experience in the development of customized commercial use strategies for successful market positioning and entry, makes us a top choice for medical device companies around the world.
From advanced imaging systems and software to orthopedic implants, our attorneys understand medical device technology and our clients’ businesses. Our attorneys have graduate and undergraduate degrees in bioengineering, chemistry and life sciences, as well as technical backgrounds and industry experience in navigable catheters, imaging systems and software, implantable devices, surgical cutting and suturing tools, bone and joint replacements, biomaterials, and fiber optic, magnetic and ultrasound sensors.
For our clients, this means that:
- We quickly understand business models and objectives, which saves time and avoids mistakes.
- We are a true strategic partner, offering advice and insights grounded in our understanding of the product development cycle and regulatory requirements.
- We leverage our past experience to deliver results with more efficiency and greater value.
Corporate and Finance
In addition to working with large multinational corporations and midsize businesses, we help entrepreneurs establish new businesses from the ground up. As your company grows, we can handle its day-to-day legal affairs, including employment matters and contracts. When it comes time to raise capital, we can structure and negotiate angel and venture investments. We also represent investors, and in appropriate circumstances can leverage that experience to provide our clients with strategic advice and introductions.
Protecting Technology and Brands
Young Basile provides turnkey solutions for acquiring and protecting intellectual property assets. Our experience in this area includes patent prosecution as well as freedom to operate studies and transactional matters. With over twenty attorneys registered to practice in the US Patent and Trademark Office, we have prepared and prosecuted thousands of patent applications across a range of technologies and helped our clients establish strong brands through trademark applications. We can also help our clients capitalize on less expensive forms of IP protection, such as copyrights and trade secrets.
Commercial and IP Litigation
Our technical experience is invaluable in effectively handling technology-related litigation. We serve as lead counsel in complex IP litigation nationally, and we are a firm of choice for partnering with larger firms on litigation to provide depth of knowledge in sophisticated technology issues, drive down cost and leverage knowledge gained from our prosecution and strategy work.
Examples of Our Work:
Our attorneys have handed patent drafting, prosecution and/or clearance in the following medical technologies:
- Cardiac pumps
- Fiducial devices
- Biocompatible polymers
- Cardiac ablation systems
- Atrial fibrillation treatment
- Breast implants
- Ultrasonic treatment of ocular disorders
- Ocular lenses
- Devices for injection and/or mixing of drugs for ocular delivery
- Bone screws
- Spinal implants and plates
- Pulmonary ablation (RF, thermal, electroporation)
- Pulmonary mapping and ablation systems
- Robotic surgery
- Cardiovascular stents (including drug eluting)
- Tissue ablation
- Bone grafts
- Polypropylene mesh
- Indwelling catheters
- Wound care
- Lancet devices for taking blood samples
- Reagents for biotesting and in particular, for diabetes
- Aortic balloon occlusion devices
- Aortic blood pump
- Surgical cutting and suturing tools
- Biomedical materials for implants
- Knee, hip and shoulder replacement parts